It’s soup season in our home and there’s an abundance of squash at the produce stand in the Vancouver area. I went nuts and bought 6 butternut squashes!!!! This recipe has plenty of flavour and healthy fats! Good for brain function and energy:)
Here’s what you’ll need
– a 9 x 13 glass or ceramic dish
– 1 medium OR 2 small sized butternut squash
– 2 cups chicken stock (I made mine from GoBio Chicken Bouillon Cubes)
– 1/2 cup coconut milk (to blend with the soup)
– 2 tbs melted bacon fat
– 2 tbs MCT oil (Multi-chain-triglyceride) OR regular coconut oil
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 tbs coconut milk to add to each bowl just before serving.
Here’s what you’ll do
COOK YOUR SQUASH & MAKE CHICKEN STOCK
– turn oven to 400 F
– cut squash in half and scoop out seeds
– put 1/2 inch of water into your glass or ceramic baking dish, place the squash upside down in the water, bake it for 45 minutes. * you’ll want the squash nice and soft so it’ll blend easy.
– While the squash cooks, dissolve your chicken bouillon cubes into 2 cup of water – allow the stock to cool before you blend it!!! – hot liquids can be dangerous to blend –
– allow the cooked squash to cool (I usually put it in the freezer in a room temperature dish). Once cooled, remove the peel and cut or scoop the squash into 1 inch cubes for easy blending
*Now you have your cooled squash and your cooled chick stock,
– put both the squash and chicken stock in the blender or food processor – being careful not to over fill either, you may need to blend or process the soup in two batches depending on the volume your machine can safely hold.
– add the coconut milk, melted bacon fat, MCT oil OR Coconut oil to the blender or food processor and process until it reaches your desired texture. I blend mine until it’s smooth and buttery.
– add salt & pepper to taste.
Before serving add a tbs of coconut milk and swirl it with a spoon for presentation and a punch of sweet flavour!
Cheers to Soup!